28th and 29th October 2021
Two day study visit to 3 community-owned pubs in Oxfordshire
This event, sponsored by Blenheim, is FREE to all Oxfordshire groups interested in learning more about community-ownership of their local pub. Attendees will visit 3 pubs in the county (with transport provided), hearing first-hand from local residents that have come together to buy their pub for community benefit. The aim is to help new groups looking at this form of business in their community to understand the processes involved, and to inspire people to see how a community-owned pub so often becomes “More than a Pub”.
This 2 day event will include exclusive workshops; delivered in the recently refurbished Plunkett Foundation training hub, providing content and a suite of comprehensive resources that groups can take away and share with their own project teams to use on their journey towards community ownership.
To secure your FREE place (for Oxfordshire groups) thanks to the support of Blenheim
If you don’t live in Oxfordshire and would like to attend, you would be more than welcome! Tickets are £100 per day (plus booking fee, plus VAT). There is a 25% discount if you are a Plunkett Foundation member.
Agenda for the 2 days:
- 11.00am – Meet at the Plunkett Foundation Training Hub (The Quadrangle, Woodstock), for networking with coffee and biscuits
- 11.20am – Welcome to Plunkett and overview of the agenda for the 2 days
- 11.30am – Workshop 1: What is a Community Pub? Why More than a Pub? Could this model work in your community?
- 12.15pm – Board the mini bus and travel to White Hart, Wolvercote
- 12.30pm – Making your pub “a hub”: A tour of the White Hart, Wolvercote
- 13.15pm – Networking lunch at the White Hart
- 14.00pm – Board the mini bus and travel to the Red Lion, Northmoor
- 14.30pm – Committee responsibilities and overcoming challenges: A tour of the Red Lion, Northmoor
- 15.30pm – Board bus and travel back to Woodstock
- 16.00pm – Reflections on the day and Q&A session
- 16.30pm – End of Day 1
Evening Meal (optional and not included in the ticket price, with no transport provided) at the Abingdon Arms, Beckley. Please let Alison Macklin, Plunkett’s Community Business Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if this is something you would be interested in so that she can add you to the table booking.
- 09.30am – Coffee and croissant breakfast at the Plunkett Foundation Training Hub
- 09.45am – Workshop 2: The community pub sector now: Latest facts, figures and insights from the sector
- 10.15am – Workshop 3: Essential guidance for preparing your business plan
- 11.00am – Comfort break and coffee
- 11.10am – Workshop 4: Understanding community shares and how to fund your pub project
- 12.00pm – Travel to the White House, Bladon (attendees to make their own way there)
- 12.30pm –Networking lunch at the White House, Bladon
- 13.15pm – Community engagement and why we decided to appoint a tenant: A tour of White House, Bladon
- 14.15pm – Final speaker TBC
- 14.45pm – A presentation about Plunkett Foundation membership, including legal structure support and supplier benefits available for when your pub reaches trading.
- 15.00pm – End of event