To achieve this, we support people in rural areas to set up and run a wide range of businesses which are genuinely owned by local communities, whereby members have equal and democratic control. Today, we represent over 800 ‘community businesses’ in rural and urban areas throughout the UK, from shops and pubs through to woodlands, farms and fisheries.
Through our support for community businesses, we have a specific mission to create innovative, impactful and inclusive spaces.
We achieve this by helping community businesses to:
- Provide a wide range of services and amenities that communities value and need
- Stimulate the local economy through localised supply chains
- Create access to employment and training and volunteering opportunities, often supporting people who are excluded from the labour market
- Tackle climate change through delivery of environmentally sustainable initiatives
- Promote equality, diversity and inclusion by creating safe and welcoming spaces for all
In practical terms, Plunkett raises awareness of the community business model UK-wide and provides business support and training to help these businesses start-up and go on to thrive. As a membership organisation, we also seek to represent the interests of rural community businesses through research, policy and public affairs.
How we work:
Plunkett Foundation operates as a team. This means that every member of staff is expected to support Plunkett as a whole, and as and when required, this means helping others to meet important targets or complete organisation-wide initiatives.
We strive to live up to our values, and be inspiring, accessible, dedicated, inclusive and collaborative in the way that we work – both internally and externally – and we welcome applications for our vacancies from like-minded individuals.
Plunkett is committed to the advancement of equality, diversity and inclusion. We seek to be a genuinely inclusive organisation by advancing equality, diversity and inclusion through our policies and practices. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from people from all backgrounds.