A sector that is backed by thousands of people
The 23 businesses to open last year were impressively backed by 4,600 people who invested £3.5 million in community shares. Community shares are a democratic form of finance often used to bring assets in to community control. The figures from 2022 brings the total amount raised through community shares – for all community businesses supported by Plunkett – to an incredible £48 million, from 170,000 investors. A real testament to the strength of community power.
It’s not just new businesses that benefitted from Plunkett’s services either. In times of energy and cost of living crises, Plunkett support is essential for motivating and engaging trading businesses and in 2022 we were proud to:
- Respond to 412 enquiries from various community businesses seeking assistance, including198 enquiries from communities looking to set up a new community business
- Deliver a total of 323 days of one to one support, including
- 69 days of business and financial planning, 53 days setting up legal structures and good governance, 46 days of action planning and 23 days on finding investment through community shares
- Run online peer network groups for 2,700 people
- Deliver 63 training and peer-networking sessions that helped 1,300 people.
- Maintain social media networks with 14,000 members
- Lead a movement of 368 Plunkett members, who contribute to our policy and representation work, as well as benefit from discounted suppliers and business health-checks.